Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What's for Breakfast Tuesday?


Today I thought I would try some new recipes I found on Pinterest this week.   The only recipe here that is mine, is the sausage recipe, which is an old family secret.

The new additions to our repertoire are the sweet potato rolls and the baked apples. I modified the sweet potato roll recipe by using almond flour and one egg. The baked apples, I modified by adding honey and  baking it in a pan with the lid on. I'm not one to bake anything with plastic, especially in the microwave. (As is, we're using plastics only for storage and bento - and any heated goods go in glass. Plastics tend to leach and are hormone disrupting. Just say no to baking with plastics.)

 Below is a photo of the kids' breakfast.  You may find the recipes for the Baked Cinnamon Apples here, and the Sweet Potato Rolls here.

Technically, sweet potatoes aren't GAPS, but they are Paleo. Given our issues with malnutrition and my need for the vitamins and minerals that are bio available in sweet potatoes - I'm keeping them in. They are paleo, so here's me sticking out my tongue and saying *nyah, nyah*.  If you are doing the baked apples paleo, you'll want to switch over to maple syrup or just leave that out.

The sausage is really simple to make.

Grandaddy's Sausage
  • 250g (1 pound) ground beef/lamb
  • 2-4tsp sage (depends on how you like it)
  • 1tbs of sugar or (in this case) honey/maple syrup
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1tsp pepper
  • 1tsp red pepper
Mix all of this really well and pinch off a bit and fry it in the pan to try. Adjust spices as needed and make the rest in a cast iron pan.
 
From bottom left to bottom right:
Watermelon, Sweet Potato Rolls, Baked Apples, Sausage

No comments:

Post a Comment