Friday, August 2, 2013

Gluten Free Product Review - Schär Millefoglie and Kraft Philly Milka

Schär Millefoglie (Phyllo Dough)

 For those of us out there in the greater European Union, our wishes for phyllo dough have been answered in Schär's Millefoglie! (Note: This is not GAPS or PALEO compliant)

I've been using this product now for the last couple of years. I decided this past weekend that I could not live without making some dessert. I'd seen a recipe floating around on various social media floating around for a dessert and I had to try it.  As warm as our weather has been, I did not want to make Gluten Free Gobsmacked's Croissant recipe. I LOVE her recipe, but it was too hot to be in the kitchen for any reason, especially anything that would be more involved than "pour, mix, shove in, take out".  (30° and a relative humidity of 80% - NO! Get out of the kitchen and go shower yet again.)

 There are several variations of this recipe going around, but the gist of it is that you take two cans of crescent rolls and roll one out in a 9x13 dish. Mix 2 packages of cream cheese, 1/4c softened butter and 1.5 tsp of vanilla and a cup of sugar together, spread it on the rolls and then top with the other can, butter that a bit and then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar up top prior to baking it for 20-30 minutes at 350°F. (175°C)

 If you know who created this recipe, please do let me know so I can give proper credit. This is to die for!!

I decided to use my 9x9 tin along with two packages of Millefoglie. I did not roll this out any further since I expected something thick enough to make rolls.

I'd long known about Kraft's Philadelphia Milka Chocolate Cream Cheese, and decided to whip it up a notch and also make some with that. I've used the chocolate cream cheese before for a few recipes (Cheesecake and a pastry similar to this)

My only complaint with the Millefoglie is that it breaks so easily. But, that's pastry for you.

Millefoglie in the pan with cream cheese mixture

Top layer of Millefoglie and butter added

cinnamon and sugar

All done!! Look how that has nicely separated from the edges!!

"plain" cream cheese

Milka cream cheese

This was delicious and was gone between dessert and our breakfast. I kid you not, we ate this for breakfast.


If you want a piece, you're more than welcome to let me know you are coming by. I'll be more than happy to share a slice!

No comments:

Post a Comment