Friday, June 21, 2013

Strawberry Pie


Today I thought I'd try something different. I had found some lovely organic strawberries on sale at the store around the corner, and had the greatest idea ever - strawberry pie. Note: This is NOT a GAPS or PALEO recipe. We're still moving towards that in our home and I needed to get these strawberries out as they were turning.

This recipe is from a relative of my dad's stepmom. We've made this for as long as I can remember, and had to stop when we went gluten free. My mom found a workaround, except there isn't any kosher gelatin near where I live. So, I found a quick and easy fix for that in a little package that we have in the baking isle called "Tortenguss". It's completely gluten free, vegan and corn free. It's made with tapioca and potato starch and carageenen. One package is good for 250ml. Since I was using more than that, I needed two packages.

I did not flavor the Tortenguss other than to  add something between 1/2 and 3/4 cup of brown sugar.

The bottom is made of plain sugar cookies (Glutano's Hoops) and some non-dairy butter that has been processed in the food processor. I did not warm it in the oven, since this is a refrigerator pie... I just needed the butter to keep it together a bit.



Put a baking sheet in your pie pan. Once you've crushed the cookies and pressed it into a pie shell; wash and slice your strawberries.



Strawberry Pie, 2nd stage
Make the pie "sauce". For me, this meant using the two packages of Tortenguss, adding in about 500ml of water, the sugar and following the directions. For you, this will mean mixing the cornstarch, Jello and sugar. You know it is done when it reaches this consistency.

"Jello"

Strawberry Pie (Like Shoney's) by Marilyn Howard

1 cup sugar                    3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup water                    1/2 pkg. strawberry Jello
3 Tablespoons cornstarch            2 pints sliced strawberries

Cook sugar, water and cornstarch until creamy and thick.  Add Jello.
Cook until jello dissolves and mixture is clear.  LET COOL
COMPLETELY.  Put sliced strawberries in a baked pie shell.  When
jell is cooled, pour over the strawberries.  Add Cool Whip topping.  Refrigerate.

After two hours, this was the end result.  I'm glad I made it, as I needed it on Wednesday for a birthday party and did not know they were also providing cake!


Have you tried making any pies since going gluten free? If so, I'd love to hear what kind. Just drop a comment in the box down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment